Preventing Relapse and Staying Sober
You don’t have to relapse to work your Relapse Plan.
In relapse prevention, it is critical to identify high stress and high-risk situations. And then, create a plan to manage them.
We all have “self-talk” in our head. This can lead to positive – or negative – thinking. In a relapse situation, the self-talk slides into negative feelings and emotions.
Negative self-talk can lead to habitual actions – and relapse.
A relapse prevention plan will help build critical thinking and avoidance strategies. This enables individuals to stay focused on achievable goals and avoid activating stress points.
Relapse Prevention Daily Check-in
- Desire – What are my intentions for the day? What do I plan to get out of this day?
- Urge – Am I craving my substance of choice? Is my schedule today manageable enough to keep my stress level low? Do I plan on doing anything that would sabotage my recovery or the goals in my treatment plan?
- Feelings and Emotions – Check in with yourself and your sponsor about how you are feeling emotionally. If your sponsor is not available to talk with, find someone you trust so you can process and understand the feelings and emotions you are having that day. It is important in relapse prevention to write your feelings on a piece of paper, in a journal or on your computer. Writing them out will give you time to think and also help with the processing of your feelings. Processing and understanding your feelings might be hard at first, however, you will begin to feel better when you start to identify exactly what it is you are experiencing emotionally on a daily basis.
- Action – How are you taking positive action in your relapse prevention plan? How are you building a better quality of life for yourself so you can move forward in a positive direction?
- Think – Always think about how you react to the choices and actions of your daily life. Journaling will help you identify strategies to build a positive outcome and how to avoid triggers that once held you back in life. Remember, you can’t think your way out of problems that you behaved your way into. You must look at your behaviors and understand the way they play out in your new life of recovery.
Northern California Evidence-Based Whole Person
Chico Recovery Center
Addiction Treatment Northern California, Bay Area and the US
Northern California Addiction Recovery Locations
Chico Recovery Center cares for clients with Screening, Addiction Assessment, Intervention; as well as access to personalized addiction treatment options.
Addiction recovery treatment includes dual-diagnosis residential and outpatient treatment, alcohol and addiction treatment, medical managed detox for individuals, families and professionals; and court liaison services.
We guide families and their loved ones suffering with addiction, depression, and other behavioral issues – into recovery.
We walk you through the steps to get started in the recovery process – and a to create a new sober life.
• Each patient is evaluated by Chico Recovery Center staff and receives a bio-psycho-social assessment; and an individualized treatment plan.
• We use Mindfulness Relapse Prevention and other whole person evidence-based therapies; including CBT, yoga, tai chi and more.
• If you or your loved one is located in Sacramento, Chico, Redding, Martinez or other northern California area – and are dealing with a drug abuse or an alcohol use disorder – welcome to evidence-based whole person addiction treatment at Chico Recovery Center.
Chico Recovery Center – Your Path to Health and Wellness